Concept2 Model D Rowing Machine Review
Do you want to get a top of the line rowing machine for home use that doesn’t bust your budget but still offers lots of great features for the money? If so, then look no further than the Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine. This is one of the best rowing machines for the money and it will be the perfect addition to your home gym or workout room.
There is a lot of love about this machine, so let me start off by listing some of the features that will be of most interest to home rowers like you.
First, you might be wondering what is the weight limit of the Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine? Well, check it out – this rowing machine has a capacity of 500 pounds, which makes it a great rowing machine for overweight people who really want to get in shape and tone down on one of these machines. Perfect for larger people because it can support that extra weight.
Another thing that might be on your mind is does the Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine make a lot of noise when in use? Well, if you have ever used a cheap rower machine, then know that they can be loud but that is NOT the case with this one! In fact, this is a very quiet rowing machine. It has a flywheel design that keeps noise to a minimum while you are rowing away the pounds.
Another great thing about the Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine is that it breaks down into two pieces for easy storage when not in use. This is important for people who might live in a small apartment or condo and need to put things like this away when not in use.
Those are probably my top favorite things about this particular indoor home rowing machine. So, let me just give you a run down of all it’s features at a glance now.
- Indoor rowing machine with sliding seat for complete total body workouts
- Flywheel design minimizes noise while maximizing a smooth feel
- Available in either black frame or white frame
- 14-Inch (35.6 cm) seat height, nickel-plated chain and PM5 monitor
- Adjustable monitor arm
- Separates easily into two pieces for storage with a quick-release frame lock. Caster wheels make it mobile.
- Adjustable footrests accommodate a wide range of shoe sizes
- Ergonomic handle for natural position
- Requires footprint of 9 x 4 feet
- 500-pound weight capacity
- 5-year frame warranty
- Full Rower Specifications
- What’s in the Box
Full Rower Specifications
- Support Legs: Aluminum front legs, steel rear legs
- Storage: Can be separated into two parts for easy storage
- Monitor: PM3 (Note: PM4 can be purchased as an upgrade)
- Monitor Arm: ABS plastic. Pivots for storage and to adjust monitor height and angle.
- Chain: Partially enclosed, nickel-plated
- Maximum User Weight: 500 lb
- Power Generation for PM5: Provides operating power when indoor rower is in use
- Overall Length: 96 in
- Width: 24 in
- Seat Height: 14 in
- Machine Weight: 57 lb
- Monorail Length: 54 in. Fits inseams up to 36 in. Extra-long monorail available at an additional cost. Contact Concept2 for more information.
- Assembled: 8 ft x 2 ft
- With Clearance for Use: 9 ft x 4 ft
- Storage: 25 in x 33 in x 54 in
What’s in the Box
- One LogCard
- USB cable for connecting the Performance Monitor to your computer and accessing the data off your LogCard
- Chain oil
- User manual
- Tools and illustrated assembly instructions
The dependable performance of the Model D Indoor Rower has made it the best-selling indoor rower in the world. Recognized by competitive rowers as the standard for indoor training, the Model D delivers an effective cardiovascular workout that will increase your fitness level and tone your physique. At a fraction of the cost of other home fitness equipment or a yearly gym membership, you can have the luxury of working out in your home whenever you choose…and get a great workout to boot.
Concept2 values practical design: The Model D is efficiently engineered and will last a lifetime. The Model D you buy is the same machine used by Olympic- and elite-level athletes to train for their sport — it’ll take the abuse of heavy training day after day.
Every Model D includes a Performance Monitor that suits your needs and interests while giving you accurate, comparable data for every row. The adjustable monitor arm lets you position the monitor where you prefer.
Flywheel and Damper
Concept2’s indoor rowers respond to your effort on every stroke, so you are in full control of your exertion and resistance at all times. The spiral damper allows you to easily adjust the airflow to the flywheel, so you can change the feel of the stroke to suit your preference. The flywheel design minimizes noise while maximizing a smooth feel.
With its 14” seat height, the Model D keeps a low profile.
Storage and Mobility
The Model D features a quick-release (no tools required) framelock mechanism, so you can easily separate the machine into two pieces for storage. Caster wheels on the front foot allow you to roll the fully-assembled machine into position.
Adjustable Footrests and Ergonomic Handle
Concept2 uses adjustable footrests on indoor rowers for quick and easy sizing. (Footrests accommodate a wide range of shoe sizes.) The comfortable, ergonomic handle features a 10-degree bend that allows you to row with a natural arm and hand position.
Nickel-plated chain: looks good and works hard. The nickel plating allows for longer periods between oiling, so, even if maintenance isn’t your strong suit, the Model D will still feel silky smooth during your next workout.
Stainless Steel Track
The aluminum monorail is capped with a stainless-steel track to ensure a smooth, gliding seat movement.
Durable Construction That’s Easy to Maintain
Concept2 machines are well known for their durability and construction. Tough and built to last, these machines withstand rigorous use in boat houses, training centers, living rooms, hotels, health clubs and military bases around the world.
Option for Team Training or On-Water Simulation
The Concept2 Slide (sold separately) adds an on-water feel to your Model D and allows you to connect multiple Model Cs, Ds and/or Es for team training.
Of course, I am not the only fitness buff out there who loves this machine. Take a look at some fitness sites to see what some other rowing enthusiasts have to say about it.
If this isn’t the rower for you, be sure to check out our guide to the best rowing machines for more options.